The MTV VMAs have been a place where celebrities tend to show out. We’ve seen meat dresses, purple shell pasties, and even more questionable outfits worn by some titans of the music industry. This year, many celebrities chose to keep it simple with monochromatic fits. Yara Shahidi, Christina Milian, and Alissa Violet wore floor length dresses that were very reminiscent of old Hollywood. We’ve been seeing many celebrities choose the traditional route with twists of modernity when it comes it formalwear. I think we can all appreciate a gorgeous silk gown paired with a shoe that commands the room.
In years past, we’ve seen Balmain take over many red carpets. The French fashion house, headed by the young Olivier Rousteing, has been worn by the Kardashians, Joan Smalls, and other celebrities. This year, Alessandra Ambrosio was the only person to wear Balmain, which was paired with legging boots, a popular style choice that we will definitely be seeing more of in the upcoming months. Farrah Abraham also sported metallic thigh high boots in a space themed outfit that matched her daughter Sophia’s.
Sparkles and sequins are always a classic, but we’ve seen a resurgence in glitter in the past few years thanks to Saint Laurent and Zac Posen. Jared Leto shined in a multicolored sequin cape from Gucci and Millie Bobby Brown stunned in Rodarte (I see her as a Chanel muse in the future). Demi Lovato dazzled in a full bodysuit with sparkling harem pants by Zuhair Murad Couture.
And now to the best dressed list!
1. Lorde in Monique Lhuillier. This fuzzy purple gown was a nice change from what we normally see Lorde wear.
2. Gucci Mane in Gucci. Traditional Gucci stripes look good on everyone, surely Forever 21 agrees.
3. Newly announced Nike Ambassador Kendrick Lamar showed his support for the brand in all white Nike Cortez with a Prada top to match.
4. Christina Milian in Dennis Basso with a silk skirt with a classic thigh high slit.
5. Paris Jackson in Dior. Her dressed, which was covered in religious iconography, might be seen at the 2018 Met Gala, if the rumors about the theme are true.
Who do you think had the best VMA outfit?