5,000 hours, determination and patience is all it takes. Shavondria Jackson, a Spanish major and Art Minor, debuted her senior art project at Long Vue House and Garden on April 14, 2016. Jackson’s project expresses the need for multi-cultural children’s literature. The art exhibit is free and open to the public. It will be available for viewing until May 15, 2016 at the Long Vue House and Garden Gate House, located at 7 Bamboo Rd, New Orleans, LA 70124.

According to the Cooperative Children’s Book Center 2012 study of 3600 books, only 7 percent of those books featured minority groups. The other 93 percent were based on Caucasian cultures. Jackson wanted to spark a discussion on having more multicultural content in children’s literature. Jackson used a combination of water color illustrations, felt-sewn puppets and a digital stop-motion as media to demonstrate an alternative in children literature. “It was a very extensive process. There was a bit of a ritual in each point I would chose to work on the project,” Jackson said. “Because it is a developing project I do seek to continue with this project. As a student there is only so much time you have creating something like this.” Jackson’s exhibit garnered support from her peers and mentors at Xavier. Jackson’s photography and art mentor, Edna Lanieri, an adjunct professor in Xavier’s Art Department, was proud of Jackson’s success.S_Jackson-1

“Shavondria was a freshman when she first came into my digital photograph class. There was just something about her. She had that spark,” Lanieri said. “She’s very passionate, she’s driven; she has a clear understanding of what she wants, and she has motivation. She’s there putting in 110 percent,” Lanieri added. Jackson plans to further develop her illustration skills in children’s literature and hopes to continue her current storyline for future projects.

  • Show Comments (0)

You May Also Like

Letter from the Editor

Welcome back, Xavierites. Whether it’s your first year (XULA20), or your last (XULA17), or ...

NABA is Ticket to Success

As an accountant major here at Xavier University of Louisiana, I am always pushed ...